CF’s Privilege Walk

An event to show students the differences in their privileges

Photo Credit: Student Life Committee

On July 13, CF had hosted their very own Privilege Walk. This walk consisted of an activity where the speaker Margorie McGee, faculty, asked participants various questions that deal with race, gender, age, and ethnicity. 

This event is the first activity to take place during a summer series that include six conversations. “In June we began a series of student led conversations called, If Not Now, When? Student Conversations on Race and Justice,” said McGee. 

The goal for this voluntary event was to increase the understanding of privilege and how everyone can be affected by it both positively and negatively. Some things spoken during this event could be controversial, so participants are asked to keep things confidential. 

“Participants must challenge themselves and understand some of the privilege that has been or not been granted to them because of their race, religion, education, family, upbringing, etc. This activity is a cooperative learning experience and will help us to continue our student conversations based around race and justice,” said in an announcement directed to all CF students from the Student Life Committee. 

Most Privilege Walks are done in person where everyone starts in a line and is ask to either step forward or backwards. This walk was completed over a zoom meeting and calculated with a point system. 

“Scores ranged from +12 to -11, a wide range. What I expressed at the end of the event was that I see scores, but I would like to hear the stories behind them. Sharing the stories behind the numbers builds connection,” said Cynthia Moody, faculty. 

Many people had participated during the event and had a chance to understand where their amount of privilege lies. It shows participants how different life is for everyone when it comes to the topics of race, gender, age, and ethnicity. 

In the beginning, right after George Floyd was killed, there were more participants, but I’ve been pleased to see that participation hasn’t waned too much. Yesterday’s Virtual Privilege Walk had 27 participants. My hope is that students will be inspired to act, learn more, take charge of their environments, and call out any racism they see,” said Julie McCammon, faculty. 

We were very pleased with the turnout of students and staff for the activity as well as the willingness of the participants to share very personal stories and feelings. It was an activity to help open eyes and to help us to understand one another – so that we can stand together as one,” said McGee. 

During this event, the committee members had also spoke about the Black Lives Matters protest and explained how it’s alright if some people were unable to protest. They explained how everyone could just use their own voices to help spread the message around. 

With all the unrest that has been happening in our country, our goal has been to provide a safe space for our CF students to share their concerns, feelings, etc., said McGee.